Our blog is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Thank you for your support!
Flashlights and lanterns are no-brainers while packing your camping or trekking gear. Since you’re planning to experience the beauty nature has to offer, why not offer it something in return?
Instead of using lanterns run by fuel and non-renewable energy, you should use solar lanterns!
Solar lanterns need only a small amount of sunlight to brighten surroundings as well as a bright flashlight.
If you buy decorative lanterns, they will glow your house with a kaleidoscope of pretty patterns!
We wish to help you be nice to your pockets and our planet. Therefore, we have reviewed ten of the best solar lanterns you can buy. This article also includes a buyer’s guide to help you make an informed purchasing decision.
Read on for our expert reviews of the best solar lanterns available. Check the latest prices to ensure you get a great deal!
- 1 Our Picks of the 10 Best Solar Lanterns
- 2 Best Solar Lanterns
- 2.1 1. TomCare Metal Flickering Flame Solar Lantern
- 2.2 2. SHYMERY Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lanterns
- 2.3 3. Go2garden Solar Large Lantern Outdoor Hanging Lights
- 2.4 4. Ulmisfee Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lantern
- 2.5 5. EOYIZW Outdoor Hanging Solar Lantern Lights
- 2.6 6. Yinuo Mirror Solar Lantern Lights Dancing Flame
- 2.7 7. Kaixoxin Solar Lantern Lights
- 2.8 8. Homeimpro Solar Big Lantern
- 2.9 9. Esgarden Outdoor Hanging Solar Lantern
- 2.10 10. URPOWER Metal Solar Lantern
- 3 Solar Lantern Buying Guide
- 3.1 What Is a Solar Lantern?
- 3.2 How Does a Solar Lantern Work?
- 3.3 What Are the Benefits of Solar Lanterns?
- 3.4 How Bright Are Solar Lanterns?
- 3.5 How Long Do Solar Lanterns Last?
- 3.6 Features to Look for in Solar Lanterns
- 3.7 Conclusion
Our Picks of the 10 Best Solar Lanterns
TomCare Metal Flickering Flame Solar Lantern
SHYMERY Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lanterns
Go2garden Solar Large Lantern Outdoor Hanging Lights
Ulmisfee Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lantern
EOYIZW Outdoor Hanging Solar Lantern Lights
Yinuo Mirror Solar Lantern Lights Dancing Flame
Kaixoxin Solar Lantern Lights
Homeimpro Solar Big Lantern
Esgarden Outdoor Hanging Solar Lantern
URPOWER Metal Solar Lantern
Best Solar Lanterns
1. TomCare Metal Flickering Flame Solar Lantern
TomCare Metal Flickering Flame Solar Lantern is a sturdy and well-built rustproof lantern meant to last you a long time. The lights look quite realistic with a dancing flame design, making the whole solar lantern experience enjoyable.
This product comes in a bronze finish and the traditional rectangular frame that allows the lantern to have a vintage look. The aesthetics are sure to take you back to the look, feel, and the era of traditional lanterns, but with all the benefits of using solar energy instead.
Waterproof and Easy to Charge
The best thing about this lantern is that it comes with a hanging handle. Therefore, all you have to do is hang it outside and let the sun fall on the solar panel. Since the lantern enjoys an IP65 rating, you will not have to worry about rain and even snow.
This lantern creates a warm yellow light that flickers like a natural flame. The realistic dancing on the flame is what makes this product stand out. The 7 lumens are ideal for replacing seven dancing candle flames, which is enough light for a lantern.
Using this lantern is incredibly simple with just a single-button operation. All you need to do is press a single button, and the lamp will get to charging during daytime and glowing in the nighttime, at your control.
- High-quality construction with rustproof finishing
- Charges quickly on sunny days
- IP65 waterproof rating allows the lamp to be used even in snow
- Incredibly simple design with a soft bottom for easy placement
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Customer support is not too responsive
2. SHYMERY Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lanterns
The SHYMERY Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lanterns are a wonderful pair of two that will make your surroundings look aesthetically pleasing. With an improved polysilicon solar panel and plug-in battery capability, this lantern has a lot to offer!
Improved Solar Panel
Needless to say, the higher quality of the solar panel, the better a solar product will perform. Therefore, this solar lantern can take up extra charge from lower sunlight levels with an improved polysilicon solar panel.
Extra Charging Option
On days when solar energy doesn’t seem to charge your lantern, you also have the option of charging it with a plug-in battery. Sure, it defeats the purpose of using a solar product, but the extra option is always beneficial in adverse situations!
Waterproof and Dustproof
It is a pair of solar garden lanterns that obviously, need to be hung in a garden – a place where dust and water are inevitable. However, the lanterns are made with some silicone elements that keep the product safe from water and dust. Therefore, whether you place these lanterns in dust, snow, or even sleet, they’ll not give out.
- Ideal size for garden utility
- Made of high-quality glass, plastic, and silicone
- Improve solar panel for better quality absorption
- Extremely simple single-button usage
- Comes with an 18-month warranty period
- The LED lights do not flicker, keeping the lantern from having a realistic feel
3. Go2garden Solar Large Lantern Outdoor Hanging Lights
The Go2Garden Solar Large Lantern is a beautiful blend of aesthetics and utility. Its oval shape and intricate patterns are ideal for brightening up the look of its surroundings, no matter how mundane they seemed before.
As with most outdoor lanterns, this product is also made with care so that it doesn’t go bad with the outdoor element interaction it has to bear. Consecutively, this lamp is made of high-quality metal with a corrosion-free and rustproof finish. The lantern also enjoys an IP44 rating, allowing it to deal with light rainfall and even some splashes.
Huge and Bright
This lantern’s design is such that it is not meant to be portable. Instead, it is a huge lantern that you can place on your patio tabletop. Powered by high-quality and extra-bright LED lights, this 7.9 x 7.9 x 7-inch lantern is set to extend beautifully warm white shades along with hits of teal blue to its surroundings.
A great thing about this solar lantern is that it comes with an automatic functioning system that makes using it very effortless. With photosensitive sensors, all you have to do is place the lantern under directs sunlight to charge throughout the day. By the time the surroundings start to get dark, the lantern will automatically turn on.
- Automated on and off functioning
- Decorative piece that functions as a great conversation starter
- Emits a warm and sift yellow light with hits of the metal frame’s teal blue
- Durable construction that is safe from water, rust, and corrosion
- Beautiful antique design with a shepherd’s hook for easy and aesthetic placement
- Not ideal for anything but decoration. You cannot use it to see what’s ahead of you when you need a light source
4. Ulmisfee Outdoor Garden Hanging Solar Lantern
The Ulmisfee Outdoor Garden hanging Solar Lantern is ideal for camping or garden decoration. With its retro look and lightweight design, you will find using this lantern extremely simple and comfortable. It is also incredibly easy to use and handle.
Extensive Battery System
This product’s primary function is to serve as a solar lantern, and it does so very well while giving you other options. On a single charge, the lanterns will last you about eight hours. However, that is not all! You can replace the batteries with rechargeable or ordinary batteries if you want power for a longer duration and will not get enough sunlight.
Uniquely Retro Design
The lantern is built to make it look like the traditional ones from way back when solar power utilization was a thing. The rectangular columnar shape and design are nostalgic, to say the least. Moreover, the wavy edge columns on the LED bulbs make it look very realistic.
Since the lantern is made of plastic, it doesn’t have a lot of unnecessary weight. Therefore, it is ideal for both camping or loitering around in the dark without much hassle. The lantern also comes with atop ring. Therefore, due to its lightweight design, you can hang it anywhere and get the most use out of it.
- Lightweight design for easy carrying and hanging
- Unique retro design that makes the product stand out
- The IP44 rating makes it water-resistant and splash-proof
- Has several power options
- 30 days refund policy
- Not waterproof
- No realistic flame flickering
5. EOYIZW Outdoor Hanging Solar Lantern Lights
When you pair modern design and modern technology in a nostalgic pattern, you get the EOYIZW Outdoor hanging Solar Lantern. This light resembles a lantern in only its brightness intensity and candle-like flickering. Otherwise, the modern design is similar to that of a hanging lamp.
This lantern is designed in such a manner that it cannot go wrong in a modern-looking house. The design is simple yet complex, with a high-quality metal cover and beehive-intensity rows. The solar panel is placed on the top, which is ideal for the lantern to absorb the maximum light.
This lantern brings a sense of authenticity through the flickering flames dancing between 99 LEDs. The more you look at the lantern, the more you will feel a flame dancing inside.
A great thing about these lights is that they have a superior battery life that is 18% more efficient than their competitors. By only being charged for about 6-8 hours, this light can function for over 10 hours. Even though you might never need it, this light also comes with a USB charging option when there’s not enough light to fall on the solar panel.
Auto On and Off
With photosensitive sensors, the lantern will detect the surrounding light and turn it on and off accordingly. Therefore, it will get to charge in the day and automatically turn on at dawn.
- Chic and modern hanging design
- Exceptionally strong battery
- Extremely easy to install and use
- Flickering flame function to make the lantern look realistic
- Quality assurance warranty for 12 months
- The solar panel might not be too durable against water splashes
6. Yinuo Mirror Solar Lantern Lights Dancing Flame
One of the best things about solar lanterns is that they are power-efficient. However, the Yinuo Mirror Solar Lantern Lights Dancing Flame is the product that takes efficiency to a whole another level with at least 15 hours of runtime.
Long Run Time
The lantern’s extremely long run time of 15 hours on 5 hours of charging time is massive. While the working time is dependent on weather conditions and how well the solar panel got to charge. However, you will have to make sure that the lamp is on while you need it to charge; otherwise, all that time in the sun can go to waste.
The lanterns are lightweight and effortless to install with the hanging clips featured on the top. While this design steers them away from the traditional lantern design, it is a major convenience.
This lantern has an IP65 rating. Therefore, it can tolerate rain and snow without any issues. Moreover, since the product is made of high-quality ABS plastic, rusting and corrosion are not factors to worry about.
These solar lanterns are true to their name since they create a realistic flame effect to create the perfect ambiance. This function makes the lanterns look antique and unique, making them ideal as decorative pieces and accent lights.
- Extremely lightweight and durable design
- Comes with an easy operation switch that you only need to press once to start charging
- Automatic on and off function once the lamp is on from the main switch
- Antique design with realistic flames
- Extremely powerful battery
- The built-in batteries might need changing in only a few weeks
7. Kaixoxin Solar Lantern Lights
The Kaixoxin Sola Lantern Lights are unique in their pattern and shape. While the lantern itself has a very traditional shape, its metal body and intricate design set it apart from the competition.
It is a very versatile lantern that you can use on a tabletop, in trees, on your patio, or just about anywhere it would fit. The effects it will create will always be spectacular.
While this lantern is shaped like a regular traditional lantern with a long oval shape, its patterned metal body makes it stand out. The hollowed-out pattern allows the lantern not only to illuminate its surroundings but create a beautiful pattern to form spectacular ambient effects.
With versatility, weather resistance becomes very important. This lantern enjoys an IPX4 rating, allowing it to be completely waterproof. Moreover, the high-quality metal is covered in a rush- and corrosion-free coating. Therefore, even if it rains or snows, your lantern will not get harmed in the long run.
Not only is the body made of waterproof, rustproof, and corrosion-free materials, but the manufacturer also offers a 1-year satisfaction guarantee. Moreover, the 30-day money-back guarantee ensures that the product you will get is made to impress.
- Unique design with intricate hollowed-out patterns on the metal body
- Durable product due to weather-resistant and corrosion-free body
- You can use it at several places for different purposes
- The manufacturer offers a 365-day limited warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- The product might be too heavy for some to handle
- No realist flame effect
8. Homeimpro Solar Big Lantern
The Homeimpro Solar Big Lantern is ideal for creating a romantic ambiance in the surroundings. With its round shape and beautifully cut metal body, the soft, warm light it emits is perfect for patio accent light and placement for candle-light dinners.
Not only is the lantern’s shape responsible for its durability, but so is its construction. Made of high-quality metal, this lantern is slightly weather resistant. The high-quality LED bulbs installed in the lamp are ideal for long-lasting performance without replacement.
Bright and Warm Light
The LED bulbs that enlighten this lamp are areal because of the warm resolution. The 7-lumen brightness is ideal for creating a soft glow in the surroundings. Even though the lantern is not meant for showing you direction while camping, it will make everything in your backyard visible enough for safety.
Auto On and Off
Using this lantern is almost mindless because of the lack of things you need to do with it. Once you have placed it where you want it to be, you have to make sure that it gets enough sunlight to charge. If the battery is well-charged, the lantern will automatically turn on and off according to the surrounding lights.
- Extremely beautiful and durable design
- Leaves a soft glow to the surroundings
- Creates a romantic atmosphere
- Ideal for decorating patio, yards, and even driveways
- Automatic on and off feature for ease of use
- No flickering light effect
- The lantern’s overall runtime might not be too long
9. Esgarden Outdoor Hanging Solar Lantern
The Esgarden Outdoor hanging Solar Lantern is an egg-shaped lantern ideal for illuminating the surroundings with beautiful patterns. The plastic body creates pretty designs on the tabletop or the floor and offers several other handy features.
High Weather Resistance
Since the product is completely made of high-quality plastic, there is no way it will rust or weather off. Moreover, the product is absolutely waterproof with an IPX4 rating. You can place this lamp in outdoor surroundings without any issues.
Yes, we know the body is made of plastic, and that cannot be eco-friendly. However, the plastic is recyclable and hence, will not ruin the environment. Moreover, the solar-powered operation is ideal for saving our non-renewable sources from depleting and using what is available to us by nature.
Much like any other high-quality lantern, this product comes with an automatic on and off function. Its photosensitive sensors will sense when it is bright or dark outside. During the day, it will automatically charge itself. However, it will automatically turn on the LEDs when the surroundings get dark.
We like how long this lantern can function on just a single charge. It will completely charge in only about 7-8 hours and illuminates the surroundings for at least 7 hours. That is long enough to go through the night without running out of juice, and then the lamp can recharge the next day automatically.
- Durable construction with an IPX4 rating and corrosion-free materials
- It can be used in just about any outdoor setting
- The body is carved in beautiful patterns to make the surroundings extremely pretty
- The lantern is very versatile
- Automatic on and off functions make using the lantern easy
- The manufacturer offers a 365-day satisfaction guarantee and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- The brightness level is too low and not as per the marketing images – the only ideal for accent lighting
10. URPOWER Metal Solar Lantern
The URPOWER Metal Solar Lantern is ideal for people who like to use high-quality metal hanging lanterns. These lanterns are sure to take you back to the Arabic Nights aesthetics with their delicate design and colorful light.
This solar lantern is made with a unique design that is sure to stand out in the crowd. The round shape, along with jeweled multicolored accent, is reminiscent of antique spice shops and such. Not only is the design great for aesthetics, but also ideal for preserving the lantern’s longevity.
Easy to Install
Since the lantern does not require any additional wiring, it is very easy to install. You can simply place it on a table or hang it with the shepherd’s hoop on any ceiling that will get enough sun exposure. The simple one-button functioning allows you to keep the lantern on at all times, so you do not have to keep turning it on at a height.
This lantern comes with an IP65 waterproof rating and is completely corrosion and rust-resistant. Therefore, even if you leave your lantern out when it drizzles lightly, it will not die out. Moreover, the water resistance adds to the product’s versatility since it also allows you to place it on your patio without relocating time and again.
- Extremely nostalgic and beautiful design with multicolor shades of warm light
- Completely weather resistant with an IP65 rating, heat, rust, and corrosion resistance
- Easy to install without any extra hassles. Just place or hang, and you’re good to go!
- Good battery life with at least 7 hours of runtime on a full charge of 8-9 hours
- No flickering flame effects to enhance the lantern-like ambiance
Solar Lantern Buying Guide
Are you excited to buy one of the lanterns from the above list? Incredible! But wait, you should know a few other things before you purchase the right solar lantern.
After all, you shouldn’t buy anything because it seems enticing. You should know what that particular category has to offer, what you will gain by it, and if the product you’re ogling is worth it. So, to help you, here are a few things you should know before choosing a solar lantern.
What Is a Solar Lantern?
A solar lantern is generally a small device that you can use to shed light on your surroundings through LED bulbs. These bulbs are powered by solar energy, making the entire apparatus plant-friendly.
Solar lanterns were initially used in rural areas where non-renewable energy was not as accessible to begin with. However, solar lanterns are widely gaining popularity in urban areas and people want to reduce their carbon footprint.
Solar lanterns are generally either used as statement decorative pieces or as camping utility gear. The categories are easily distinguishable with the style or pattern of the cover over the LED bulbs.
How Does a Solar Lantern Work?
A solar lantern generally has the same structure as a traditional lantern. However, instead of a fuel base, it features a solar PV panel and a battery. The battery is connected to a LED bulb-powered lamp.
The solar panel converts solar energy into electrical energy and stores it in the sealed battery. Each lantern comes with a switch with which you can operate when you want to use it.
What Are the Benefits of Solar Lanterns?
Using solar lanterns is highly beneficial for the following reasons:
- Cost-Effective: Solar energy is always much more cost-effective than non-renewable energy. Therefore, using solar lanterns will always be light on your pocket.
- Go Green: Using solar energy will cut down your carbon footprint significantly. Therefore, by not burning fuels, you will be doing your bit in conserving the environment.
- Decorative Pieces: Depending on the design you choose, solar lanterns can be extremely beautiful and may act as patio accent pieces.
- No Heat: Since LEDs and not actual flames light solar lanterns, they do not overheat, making it easier for users to hold them. You can use solar lanterns for extended periods without risking burning yourself.
- Versatile: Unlike battery-powered or traditional fuel lanterns, solar lamps are very versatile. Since their energy source is available everywhere, you can use them regardless of electricity, battery, or fuel availability.
How Bright Are Solar Lanterns?
Solar lanterns are made to replicate the brightness of traditional lanterns. Therefore, most of them have a luminous flux of 7 lumens.
To understand how bright this is, you must note that one lumen is generally about as bright as one burning candle. Therefore, 7 lumens are meant to be as bright as seven candles burning together. That has to be enough brightness for an accent or short-distance light.
How Long Do Solar Lanterns Last?
How long a solar lantern will last mostly depends on its battery size. Most solar lanterns are meant to last for about 7-8 hours on a single solar charge. However, some can obviously extend this limit to about 6-7 hours.
As for the durability of solar lanterns, once you buy one, you can be sure that it will stay with you for at least 2-3 years.
Features to Look for in Solar Lanterns
Now that you know so much about solar lanterns, let us discuss the features you should consider while buying a solar lantern.
You must always consider the design a solar lantern has. The design not only influences the way the lantern looks but also how it functions. A solar lantern can either be modern-looking, vintage, or rustic. Moreover, the design also dictates where you can use the lantern since it affects its various weather resistance features.
It would be best if you always opted for the solar lantern to provide you with the most brightness in the smallest size. Since you will have to carry it, having lightweight and compact yet useful gear is always preferable.
Each solar lantern has a different battery capacity. The battery quality influences the time it will take to charge completely and the duration for which it can offer your brightness on a full charge. Make sure that the lantern you buy can deliver to your time requirements.
Most solar lanterns replicate the traditional ones with a brightness of about 7 lumens. This brightness level is enough to make a pattern spread over a wide distance or make things visible in your close vicinity. If you’re looking for an accent piece, you can also look for a 4-5 lumen solar lantern.
Durability and Warranty
Warranty implicated durability. Therefore, it is a sure-shot way of knowing whether or not a lantern will last for a decent period.
It would be best if you only considered investing in solar lanterns that come with a decent warranty period. Most companies offer 12-18 months of warranty along with 12–24-hour replacement or problem resolution.
Durable lanterns will generally last you for a longer time than the warranty period. Therefore, you should read reviews and feedbacks and buy a lantern that can last up to 4-5 years at ease.
The whole point of using a solar lantern is that you get to enjoy the beautiful flickering of candles characteristic of traditional lanterns while safeguarding the environment. Otherwise, the solar lantern will not be any different than any solar light.
It would be best to always buy a solar lantern with realistic flames that keep flickering and moving within the body. The warmer and more flickering the lights, the better!
Waterproof Vs. Water-Resistant
Many people like to place solar lanterns in their gardens or carry them while camping. Therefore, whether a lantern is water-resistant or waterproof makes a huge difference.
You must consider your requirement and see if you want a lantern that can sustain light rain or one with an IP rating over 44. Such lanterns can survive even being submerged in water.
Using a solar lantern is one of the best camping and home decoration decisions you can take, especially reducing your carbon footprint.
We urge you to select one of the solar lanterns reviewed in this article because we have chosen the highest quality products. It would also be great if you do not rush through the buying decisions and consider all the important things before you put your money into use.
So, what are you waiting for? Buy the best solar lantern according to your requirements now!